Sunday 25 January 2009

The whys and the what fors



Two years ago I completed my first long distance walk The Cleveland Way and I shall be embarking on my second at the start of May 2009. The motivation for the Cleveland Way was to raise money for Marie Curie Cancer Care because my sister Louise was 3 years into a battle against breast cancer. Sadly, last July after five years of fighting the illness, Louise lost that battle at the age of 43. This time I shall be raising funds for Lavender Trust which is the part of Breast Cancer Care specifically aimed at the younger woman. If in some small way the money I raise helps prevent any part of the suffering that Louise, her husband Andy, our family and the loyal group of Louise's friends endured then it will be highly satisfying. Full details on how to donate if you so desire will follow. The picture attached was taken shortly before Louise passed away and is on board a yacht just after Lou had completed the round the island race raising a shed load herself for The Lavender Trust. I'm the hunk (Ha) to her left and Andy her husband is in the pink on Lou's right. Anyway that's the maudlin bit over and "thank god for that" Louise would no doubt have said, Lets get on to the walk.

This time I am walking the Coast to Coast route devised by Alfred Wainwright although I shall be going from Robin Hoods Bay in the east to St Bees on the west coast which is the reverse of the normal route. The reason for doing it back to front is partly because I am a contrary so and so, partly because I want to have the lakes to look forward to and partly because facing west I reckon will mean the sun will be on me more. What sun I hear those who have walked it before say.... mere trivial detail that in my opinion. Once more I shall be walking alone and will carry all my possessions including my tent with me and will hence camp all through the journey. Unfortunately I shall also be carrying an extra stone located partly in the waist area and partly in my ever developing man breasts. More on this subject no doubt as training progresses. The official route is 192 miles so whereas last time I averaged 12 miles per day this time it will be about 16 miles. In addition to these minor hurdles my battered knees and back are also two years older. It is going to be a challenge.

Through this blog I shall record the preparation and training which began last Thursday and subject to acquiring the technology I hope to post regular updates as I complete the walk. Hopefully some part of my ramblings will be of interest even if the minutae of kit details is not. I can sense my dearly beloved losing the will to live as we speak ( I have numbered my maps already and my kit spreadsheet is colour coded) although two weeks without me has to be an incentive. Anyway onward and upward 14 weeks till departure.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I know you're old and senile, but arent you the one on Lou's right and Andy on her left???

johntmatlock said...

Not as you look at it you daft mare