Saturday 18 April 2009

Testing the tent

Since we are now only two weeks away I thought it opportune to test the new tent out and have a dumy run of packing everything i.e. will it all fit in the rucksack, can I lift it if it does. Sadly the answer to the first part was no and second only with difficulty. Options therefore include sacrificing some kit or buying a new and better rucksack. After serious reflection and recognising that mice in the loft had eaten a fair bit of the waist band of the rucksack I went for option 2.




Anyway tent is fine as can be seen in the attached photo's, jetboil works fine for the morning cuppa and I tested out the pub food option in Edale. This essential trial necessitated consuming the obligatory pub pie and several lagers. Satisfied that I shall be able to manage this regular activity I retired early to test the new mattress and sleeping arrangements.
Unfortunately I had forgotton how cold it gets at nights in April and early May so will have to revisit the night clothing options. Despite sleeping in my woolly hat and socks (picture that for an illusion of attraction....not) I had a disturbed nights sleep waking on several occasions feeling cold. I have a feeling we could be heading foy lycra wear tor the main event.
The new tent is great however and although half a kilo heavier than the other one there is substantially more space for kit and boiling a brew in the morning. packing up was a major problem however and something I shall have to revisit. i.e. how to get all the kit in the rucksack in the right order. Condensation was also a problem although my intention is to start a lot later on the shorter mileage days so I enjoy the scenary and dont arrive by early afternoon.
Off reffing my third last game this afternoon so need to press on.

No comments: