Monday 2 February 2009

Artic blizzards in London so off for a walk up here...


So don't get me started on the fact that every news item, web page etc is telling us how tough it is anywhere south of Nottingham but then with our hardy whippets, cloth caps and log fires to keep us warm up here what have we got to worry about. Anyway enough of that... our lane which in one direction goes up steeply and in the other down and then up steeply is not on the bus routes so doesn't get gritted. Note the cunning plan we have up here..... grit the roads before the snow comes. Anyway consequence of all this is that if I got out in one piece of car the likelihood of getting home intact was not great so I worked from home for a bit and then went for a walk this afternoon.


Having slipped into the clinically obese zone (chuffin scales are clearly faulty even after doing the one legged stance, holding onto the bathroom sink, removing the wedding ring routines) it was important to get back into the training regime. That said I have had quite a decent week exercise wise with running the line at Buxton, playing 5 a side and then reffing on Sunday.morning. Unfortunately interspersed with all this positive activity was the Notts County beer festival which may not have aided the obesity scale. Buxton was fun apart from having the village idiot giving me "advice" and then wanting to be my friend afterwards in the bar. I was the model of decorum, understanding and requested that he politely fornicate elsewhere.

Anyway back to the training, due to the probability of quite a bit of road walking Meg was banned from coming with me on the grounds of her being a total wuss in the proximity of traffic and a pain in my rather ample posterior on the lead. Todays trek was off up over Riber, down through Starkholmes and round Matlock Bath before heading home via High Tor and to feed the lion (red variety) in Matlock Green. Underfoot was interesting to say the least but good on the exercise front as you never quite knew how to avoid the heavy bits.... so I didn't. This meant a good test for the boots which as ever stood up to the task perfectly. Sad indictment of our marriage but they are the best ever pressie the bride has bought me (just ahead of my lycra undershirt for reffing... told you I was sad). Up by Riber I was able to make a pitch inspection of the Matlock Town ground where I am due to be reffing Wednesday...its the flat white area in the distance which makes me think play is unlikely.

Anyway todays route took me past the cable cars which of course are not running in the Alpine conditions they are designed for, and then back over High Tor. Riber castle was looking distinctly faint through the snow on the way back and it was easy to see how people rapidly get lost in a white out. Fortunatly I regained my bearings by observing the highly pleasurable sight of all the stationary cars far below on the A6 as I slid my way down to feed the lion. Lion suitably fed, or rather watered, I sauntered or slid my way home because by this stage we were getting "londonesque" drifts (well a couple of inches anyway). As we speak it looks like another day at home tomorrow and the schools are already closed... tough for these overworked teachers hey. Hopefully I shall get out and about once more and be able to update my travails again.

Although I am not yet getting big mileages in the kit is standing up well. Obviously the boots were great today but the mid layer top is outstanding. With the temperatures set to dip tomorrow the cold weather kit shall be tested. Anyway enough of the technical garbage I'm off for an emotional tryst with my maps and compass. Waheyyyyy.




No comments: