Friday 13 February 2009

Elastoplast miracle cure and another walk

Meg had decided to forsake the opportunity of a walk for her other favourite pastime that of hydrotherapy. At this point I would fully understand you beginning to question just how spoilt Meg the dog is and you are right she is. I try to maintain a level of owner/dog relationship by allegedly being cruel to the dog i.e. she will not sleep on the bed all night nor on the sofa all day but unfortunately I am frequently over ruled by the trouser wearing one. Anyway....... Meg is a walking injury zone with bad hips and a knackered elbow plus trying to spear her brain on a stick so she goes swimming once a fortnight. Wonderful it is too and does her no end of good http://www.ashbournecaninehydrotherapy.co.uk/index.html if you have a canine in need of treatment.



Anyway what of me. Unlike the dog I am in prime physical condition...not! So the start of the day saw my weekly visit to the physio, an amiable sadist called Norman Hibbert. Now Norman is one of the nicest people you could wish to meet unless you are lying on his treatment table when he states a need to apply a little "gentle" manipulation. He has been treating me for a couple of months and while he is clearly hugely knowledgeable and the back is improving it is not a fun filled forty minutes. Currently I have a "stretch" of traction (groan) followed by manipulation and exercises. This week he tried a new technique whereby he applied strips of expensive elastoplast down my back which apparently lifts the skin away from the bone / disc area. Amazingly this was a Eureka moment where for the first time in 20 years (promise) I could touch my toes without bending my legs. Somewhat unkindly the bride suggested it might the first time I could see my toes! Norman is also the only person bar one who has greater road rage than me. He is the only childless person I know to celebrate half term on the grounds of less people slowing him on the way to work.



Once suitably mobilised and the wallet lighter too I set off for the walk along Curbar edge via the Grouse and over Big Moor. This was an 11 mile stretch made difficult by well trodden paths creating an icy route for the first half followed by deep snow on the second. I was initially faced by a somewhat intransigent cow with sharp horns that made me decide not to challenge its right of way but then the views were fantastic from the edge The Grouse Inn provided a welcome midway pit stop followed by the obligatory climb thereafter and the latter half was generally desolate and people free but very tiring. I certainly felt the effort today but I guess it is good training as I keep telling myself when I am hurting most. I am conscious that I am going to have to up the distance and carrying weight soon (Other than that located in the belt area) but also aware that walking conditions will improve. Wading through knee high snow certainly takes it out of you. Speed is still OK with a steady 5 km/hr being maintained.

No comments: