Sunday 10 May 2009

hail in may?

Two more days done and no new injuries to report other than .rsi of the drinking hand. The cultural nature of the trip has improved following visits to the kings of both gunnerside and kirkby stephen, yesterday was beautiful until the mother of all storms wet me to the core. Swim shorts were in their element, rest of the kit was just wet through. Anyway once the tent was up I sought refuge in somewhere with a hot radiator requiring a longer stay to enable my boots to dry. There were some funny looks at my boots resting on the rad but hey I am used to funny looks! After yesterdays rain today started well with a long climb and the highest peak so far at 650m. Despite serious bogs that made kinder look a piece of cake boots stayed dry. However on reaching nine standards , 3m columns of limestone, it began to rain and then turned to hail. Ffs we are in may and the real football season is over. However after that the sun came out and despite a delay while I fought valiantly to get my overtrousers off , envisage an obese fly in a spiders web,

Tomorrow sees the longest stretch and I am already thinking of bed at 8.20. This walk is one long excess of partying! I cross the m6 and I have already seen the lakes. That said there are still six days of walking but at least tonight I am clean, the kit is clean and I have even had a proper shave. Bic sensitive shivers are not sensitive . Ps missed a historical landmark, I am currently visiting colgan castle!

No comments: